National Historic Landmark (1960)
mission-founded June 3, 1770 by Fr. Serra at presidio of Monterey;
moved to Carmel following year. Named for St. Charles Borromeo,
a Cardinal of the 16th century. Present church (the seventh)
begun 1793 under Fr. Lasuén, dedicated 1797. Headquarters
of Alta California mission operations 1770-1803. Secularized
1834; returned to Church 1859. Restoration 1884, 1924, 1931-39.
Elevated to the status of parish church. Pope John XXIII designated
the mission church a Minor Basilica 1960.
Structure and Condition
- The present church was built 1793-1797, fell into ruin and was restored in 1884 and 1924. A historically accurate restoration was completed in 1936.
Immediate and Long-Term Funding Needs
- Carmel has the finest and most extensive Mission period statue and silver collections in the Missions. The collections are in need of conservation and better housing. There are also significant archaeological resources that warrant further investigation.
South of Monterey, exit onto Rio Road and
travel west. (Monterey County).