National Register of Historic Places. Mission San Buenaventura is the last mission founded by Father Serra, on March 31, 1782. The mission is named for St. Bonaventure, and was an agricultural center that played a major role in the introduction and variety of present day commercial crops to California. Parts of the mission's original water system are visible.
The first church was damaged by the 1812 earthquake and reconstructed in 1816. After the mission was secularized in 1836, Governor Pico rented the grounds in 1845 and sold them the following year. President Abraham Lincoln returned ownership to the Catholic Church in 1862. From 1878-95 the church remodeled the mission after the Victorian style. These alterations were removed in 1957. The church is currently in good condition, but the adjacent museum building was constructed in the early 20th century and needs retrofitting.
Immediate and Long-Term Funding Needs:
- Expand and improve mission museum including humidity
and temperature control, seismic retrofit, and security to protect mission
artwork and artifacts.
- Mission artwork and artifacts need conservation.
From US-101 south, exit straight onto Main Street and turn right.
The mission is on the left.
From US-101 north, exit straight onto California Street. Left
onto East Main Street. (Ventura County)